The Power of Rocks and Crystals
Are Gemstones and Crystals Only for Showing off or for Healing as well?
Once upon a time when fairy tales appeared, gemstones and crystals took a significant place in them. Crystal palaces, gemstone-covered landscapes, mirrors with gemstone frames, robes, and goblets were announcing that the reader had entered a magical place where everything was possible.
Were gemstones created whenever the deer would stomp with its hoof, as one Ural fairytale suggests, or by the body parts and blood of a Demon God Vala, as an ancient Indian fable tells? No one can say that for sure.
Ancient cultures such as Egypt, Greece, and China believed that crystals have healing properties.
Egyptians, for example, used lapis lazuli, turquoise, carnelian, emerald, and quartz for medicinal and ritual purposes.
Art historians claim that Leonardo da Vinci kept amethyst on his desk believing that it dispels evil thoughts and speeds up thinking.
Nowadays, thousands of people around the globe are turning to alternative and complementary medicine which includes acupuncture, homeopathy, yoga and even healing crystals and gemstones.
On the other hand, apart from potential metaphysical abilities, gemstones and crystals are also really beautiful. Therefore, they are used for making a large variety of accessories such as jewelry or home decorations. People believe that it is a matter of prestige and like showing off these beautiful stones.
What does science say about healing crystals?
Several scientific studies claim that crystals and gemstones do not have healing power and suggest this to be pseudoscience. However, some studies exemplify the placebo effect was working its magic and potential benefits that are most likely a result of the power of suggestion.
Nevertheless, some people believe that made of different elements, which our bodies react to in different ways, crystals are minerals that hold energy as well as humans do which means that we can exchange energy with the crystal when we work with it. They are even thought to be balancing out the frequency of the electromagnetic currents in our bodies.
Moreover, it is believed that crystals are used to improve the function of many everyday objects, like watches, hospital equipment, lasers, etc. Piere Curie even found that changing the temperature of crystals and putting pressure on them could create electricity which is used in technology like microphones, quartz watches, inkjet printers, sonar, and medical implants.
What are the most popular crystals?
Healing crystals can be divided into a few categories such as healing crystals for health, wealth, and love.
Healing crystals for health are clear quartz, jasper, obsidian, amethyst, and bloodstone.
• Clear quartz is a master healer which is said to amplify energy, aid concentration, and memory, and help balance your energetic system. Paired with rose quartz, their abilities enhance.
• Jasper is known as the supreme nurturer who empowers the spirit, reduces stress, absorbs negative vibes, and promotes courage, quick thinking, and confidence.
• Obsidian is a shield against physical and emotional negativity. It increases strength, clarity, and compassion and helps find your true sense of self. This stone frees you of negative blockages of any kind.
• Amethyst helps rid the mind of negative thoughts, brings forth humility, sincerity, and spiritual wisdom, promotes willpower and healthy choices, aids sleep, and demystifies dreams.
• Bloodstone is associated with menstruation and other blood-related processes. It encourages the circulation of ideas and energy, promotes selflessness, creativity, and idealism, and reduces irritability, aggressiveness, and impatience.
If you are concerned with wealth, focus on tiger’s eye, citrine, turquoise, sapphire, and jade.
• Tiger’s eye boosts motivation, guides you to harmony and balance, and helps you make conscious decisions. This can be beneficial for career aspirations.
• Citrine sparks enthusiasm and brings joy to every part of your life. It encourages optimism, warmth, motivation, clarity, and creativity.
• Turquoise represents the respiratory, skeletal, and immune systems. It attracts good luck and supports spiritual grounding.
• Sapphire attracts prosperity, happiness, and peace. It also opens the mind to beauty and promotes a positive mood.
• Jade brings prosperity and luck.
If love concerns you, find out more about rose quartz, moonstone, and ruby.
• Rose quartz helps restore trust and harmony in relationships, enhances connection,
encourages love, respect, trust, and self-worth.
• Moonstone is said to be the stone of new beginnings. It encourages inner growth and strength, helps you move forward successfully, promotes positive thinking, intuition, and inspiration, and supports success and good fortune.
• Ruby stands out because of its striking red color. It promotes sexuality and sensuality.
How to choose the best crystal and care for it?
There are two different ways of choosing the best crystal. The first one is identifying your feelings and what you are missing. Then, you should let your intuition choose for you. Your inner self will opt for the best one.
The second way of choosing is for people who believe in Zodiac. There is a crystal for each sign. Just check which one is yours.
Don’t forget to do thorough research before getting your crystal. Proper care is of vital importance. This might include cleansing away any negativity it might have picked up by holding it under running water, immersing it in sea salt, placing it in the sun or moonlight, or smudging it with specific herbs.
Keep in mind that for crystals to work their magic, it is important to respect what crystals can do for you and get rid of skepticism.
The most desirable crystal accessories
The beauty of the crystals is undeniable and it is not surprising that people make tons of accessories out of them. The most popular ones are jewelry, prayer beads, coasters, pipes, water bottles, and crystal things for everyday use.
Crystals take thousands of years to form and they can be very expensive.
If you have realistic expectations about what crystals can do, there is no harm in using them even though science does not include them among healing modalities. Still, a qualified professional is a qualified professional, and crystals should never replace their medical treatment.
About the writer:
Milica Tripković, a professional English teacher and translator as well as a freelance writer on a large variety of topics, passionate about reading and writing